The Black Legal Action & Community Knowledge (BLACK) Initiative is a project of the National Black Worker Center and National Legal Advocacy Network. The BLACK Initiative integrates legal and organizing strategies to engage Black workers in low-wage industries, build worker power, move strategic litigation and scale anti-racist policy change.
We are currently seeking a Staff Attorney, based at National Legal Advocacy Network, to develop and lead the legal work of the BLACK Initiative.
This is a full-time, salaried position. The Staff Attorney will work remotely and report to NLAN’s Litigation Director and/or Executive Director.
Core responsibilities include:
- Identifying areas for Know Your Rights trainings, conducting issue research, developing relevant & accessible materials, and working with BLACK Project Coordinator and organizers at the National Black Worker Center to effectively deliver Know Your Rights content to impacted workers.
- Conducting intakes with impacted workers, gathering relevant documents and providing case synopsis and analysis to NLAN’s Litigation Team to determine feasibility of the case and next steps.
- Researching relevant legal issues and drafting memorandum to guide legal and policy strategy.
- Drafting legal memos, complaints, motions and other documents.
- Representing workers in legal action, including agency charges, arbitration and litigation.
- Engaging non-profit and private bar attorneys with opportunities to support Black workers in low-wage industries through case referrals, co-counseling arrangements and other strategies.
- Developing a working relationship with key officials at labor enforcement agencies throughout the country. Qualifications:
- 3+ years of litigation experience, preferably involving workers’ rights.
- Experience developing and delivering Know Your Rights presentations.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, with a proven ability to write compelling legal memos, complaints and other documents.
- Strategic thinker with understanding of various strategies used by movement organizations to effect change (e.g. organizing and movement building, impact litigation, legislative advocacy, opposition research, strategic communications, etc)
- Action-orientated and entrepreneurial self-starter who can manage multiple projects and work well both independently and in a remote team
- Strong understanding of racial and economic justice, how race and power shape systems in our society, and how grassroots organizing works in practice. Compensation and Location This is a full-time position with a salary range of $70,000-$85,000 (based on experience) and benefits, including medical and dental insurance, paid time off and a 401k plan with an employer contribution. NLAN staff work remotely and candidates from all jurisdictions will be considered. However, Attorneys licensed to practice in California or North Carolina are preferred. To Apply: Email firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “BLACK Staff Attorney Position” and include a cover letter, resume and writing sample (legal complaint, memo or brief). We will consider applications on a rolling basis. National Legal Advocacy Network is a project of and fiscally sponsored by the National Employment Law Project. NLAN and NELP are equal opportunities, fair chance, affirmative action employers, committed to building a diverse and inclusive workforce. People of color, women, LGBTQ+ people, people with disabilities, and individuals with past involvement with the legal system are strongly encouraged to apply.