In response to disproportionately high levels of unemployment and low wage work in Black communities, the National Black Worker Center (NBWC) was launched in 2011. The NBWC is a national network of Black worker centers. We support and incubate worker centers who empower Black workers to advance their rights and improve the quality of jobs in key employment sectors. We provide education about the impacts of low-wage work and unemployment on Black communities, and work to prevent racial discrimination in hiring and other employment practices and policies. Through our network we intervene in the labor market to improve racial and economic employment conditions. Partnering regional Black worker centers are in Los Angeles, CA, Chicago, Il, New Orleans, LA, Baltimore, MD, Raleigh-Rocky Mount, NC, Greenville, MS, Washington, DC and Oakland, CA. Our network consists of membership-based, and member-driven organizations that utilize a combination of leadership development, organizing, policy advocacy, and strategic communications to build power to address the Black job crisis.
GENERAL DESCRIPTION OF POSITION:
Reporting to both the Executive and Deputy Director, the Executive Assistant (EA) will serve as a primary operational and administrative contact for internal and external constituencies, often handling complex and confidential issues. The primary functions include performing a wide variety of administrative and program support activities on behalf of the Executive Director and Deputy Director, including coordinating the provision of office and staff support services and manages the coordination, supervision, and completion of special projects, campaigns, and events.
- Manage both the Executive and Deputy Director’s calendars: responding to calendar invitations, scheduling internal/external meetings, controlling calendar traffic to prevent conflicting appointments, and other essential scheduling tasks.
- Schedules and organizes organizational events and meetings (e.g., board meetings, staff meetings, staff retreats, worker center convenings, etc.). This to include the management of logistics (e.g., travel, hotel accommodations, catering, vendors, etc.)
- Support board chair and board committee chairs with scheduling meetings and meeting logistics.
- Support HR and Operations Manager with creating new hiring packets, scheduling interviews, scheduling new employee orientation meetings, post job vacancies, etc.
- Create general correspondences, memos, presentations, charts, tables, graphs, business plans, and other documents. Proofread copy for spelling, grammar, and layout, making appropriate changes, ensuring accuracy and clarity of final copy.
- Perform general clerical duties to include but not limited to minutes of meetings, photocopying, scanning, mail distribution, and filing.
- Answers phones for organization; taking messages, fielding questions, directing calls to the appropriate staff member, etc.
- Handles confidential and non-routine information and explains policies when necessary.
- Coordinate travel arrangements as needed.
- Prepare meeting materials and assists with the development of PowerPoint presentations and meeting agendas etc.
- Support with reconciling business credit card and personal expense reimbursement.
- Record minutes at various meetings, archiving them accordingly.
- Assists in intern recruitment, training, and coordination.
- Take stock of office supplies and order supplies as needed
Other related responsibilities, as assigned by Executive and Deputy Director
The Executive Assistant will be able to work independently as appropriate, possess both reliability and consistency, and exhibit the ability to learn at a fast pace, problem solve, take initiative, and be outcome oriented. The ideal candidate must exhibit a high level of organizational customer service, oral/written communication skills, sound judgement, and a commitment to a positive work culture. The ability to work in a fast-paced environment with strong attention to detail is essential.
- Proficient in MS Office suite – Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Teams – email, internet
- Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously with accuracy and achieve deadlines under pressure
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written, organizational skills, both analytical and problem solving, and the ability to work with confidential documents
- Database management skills – preferably Every Action
- Ability to make administrative and procedural decisions and judgments on sensitive, confidential issues
- Strong administrative skills
- Exceptional customer service skills, over the telephone and in person
- Strong sense of urgency and problem-solving skills
- High school diploma or equivalent education and experience also considered
SALARY & BENEFITS
Salary range is $45,000 – $55,000 depending on experience.
The National Black Worker Center Project is fiscally sponsored by NEO Philanthropy. NEO Philanthropy provides a robust benefits package, which includes medical, dental, vision, life, long term disability, and pet insurance. NEO also administers an FSA, EAP, commuter benefits, 401k retirement plans, and has generous time off.
Please provide a cover letter, resume, and the names and contact information for three professional references. Your cover letter should speak to your experience, why you are choosing the National Black Worker Center, and how you can support the mission. Incomplete submissions will not be considered.
NEO is an equal opportunity employer. We consider applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other legally protected status. Women, people of color, LGBTQ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Due to the anticipated volume of responses, we will contact only those candidates who most closely match our requirements.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $45,000.00 – $55,000.00 per year
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Disability insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Flexible schedule
- Flexible spending account
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Retirement plan
- Vision insurance
- High school or equivalent (Preferred)
- administrative assistance: 3 years (Required)
- One location